Wednesday, September 01, 2004

A book-tour assist

I'm off to the largely Internet-free wilds of Montana for a five-day break. But before I go, I thought I should mention something to readers and friends of both Orcinus and my book Death on the Fourth of July: The Story of a Killing, a Trial, and Hate Crime in America in West Coast cities who might be interested in having me appear at their local bookstores for a signing:

I'm willing and able, but I might need your help to make it happen.

You have to understand: I'm not a big-name author, and any book tour I do at this point in my career is going to be largely self-financed. In particular, I've been planning to get an Amtrak ticket and schedule appearances in the following cities:

Portland

Eugene, OR

San Francisco/Bay Area

Los Angeles

San Diego

You see, the economics of bookstores are such anymore that before they'll agree to do a signing in their store, they need to feel assured the author will draw enough of a crowd to make it worth their time. (I'm sure it varies with the store.) So, for instance, Powell's in Portland declined to have me do an appearance because they figured I was a Seattle writer. (The negative review in the Oregonian, I'm sure, didn't help.) I think I'd probably draw a good number of people in Portland anyway -- but they need to hear from you, the readers.

So if you live in any of these cities and want to hear me talk and answer questions, drop down to your local bookstore and, if you haven't already, pick up a copy of one of my books -- then tell the clerk you'd be interested in having me appear at their store, and could help drum up further interest. Have them contact the publicists at St. Martin's Press (mine is Amanda Maxwell) and we'll arrange things from there.

A word about San Diego: I'm scheduled to appear there on Sept. 24 to give a talk to a PeaceWorks/Not In Our Town gathering. So far, we haven't found any bookstores interested in having me do a signing that weekend (the 25th-26th). If anyone knows of any stores interested in putting something together on such short notice, that'd be really helpful.

Anyone with thoughts, suggestions, or whatever, can (as always) contact me at dneiwert@hotmail.com. Thanks.

No comments: