Sunday, February 09, 2003

That librul bias

Atrios calls it:

Racial Bias in Media Reporting of Terrorist Activity
David Neiwert just suggests it, but I think it's impossible to not come to that conclusion. This arrest of the white supremacists should be major news in a terrorism-obsessed country. The FBI says this is major and that the information they stole and distributed poses a serious threat.

I can't say that I disagree. I don't think there's any evidence of a conscious racial bias per se, but the outcome certainly suggests one of those unconscious racial/ethnic biases that, once upon a time, newspaper editors were scrupulous about avoiding.

As Al-Muhajabah later wryly observes in Atrios' comments:
I was just imagining the news coverage if Muslims had been caught doing the same thing the Davilas were. That seems to answer the question about bias.

This is exactly correct.

No comments: